I might be young, but I’ve learned a lot about life during my twenty-something years on this planet.
I’m pretty wise.
(I have a lot to learn)
But I am wise!
And I will admit, I do a lot of stupid things. Like spill a cinnamon, sugar, and lemon extract mixture all over the kitchen floor because I was too busy trying to watch The Office, text, and generally distract myself from real-life as much as possible. I think I tried too hard. It worked, since I was then busy cleaning cinnamon off the floor.
Ohh Life, you throw so many curveballs.
Allow me to share some of my wisdom with you:
– First and foremost, make sure you have some good friends. Or a good friend. It’s about quality, not quantity. You’ll see who is a true friend during the toughest times of your life.
– Don’t ever apologize for something you truly love. For example, I will never apologize for loving N’Sync and Spice Girls. Yes, I said “loving” as in that love lives on in my heart. Oh, you think you’re funny and start to play “Bye, Bye, Bye” as a joke? This girl is ready for her solo…bring it on.
– Remember to brush your teeth. I always remember. But I highly dislike it when people don’t. It’s just gross if you don’t. Really.
– Learn the difference between the words “there” “their” and “they’re.” It’s important in life. People won’t necessarily think you’re smart, but they definitely won’t think you’re illiterate. Important.
– Life gives you a zillion lemons. And when I say “a zillion”…I really mean a bazillion, times 8,000. It’ll knock you right off your feet, and leave you lost, sad, and confused.
Okay, that was a little heavy…but there is good news!
When life gives you lemons…
…you make blueberry muffins! That’s my philosophy, anyway.
These are good muffins. And when I say “good”…I really mean good. Serve ’em warm, with the lemon-cinnamon butter. It will make you happy.
If you’re already happy, well, congratulations! Have a muffin. 🙂
They’re a-maz-ing right out of the oven. I’m not exaggerating. Unfortunately I was the only one around to enjoy them. Well, Kitten was there..but she had her own dinner plans.
Yes, I’m wearing Christmas pajamas in August.
Yes, I am an adult and I own Christmas pajamas.
I just told you not to apologize for things you love! And I love my Christmas pajamas.
adapted from King Arthur Flour
1 stick unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup room temp water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan.
2. Cream butter, sugars, and salt together until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Add the baking powder, mix until incorporated.
5. Combine water and condensed milk in a small bowl.
6. Add milk mixture alternately with flour, beating well after each addition.
7. Fold in blueberries, making sure to evenly distribute them throughout the batter.
8. Fill muffin papers full. The batter is pretty thick, so it won’t rise too much.
9. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cinnamon-Sugar Lemon Butter
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature.
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp lemon extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp flour
1. Combine all ingredients. Store in refrigerator.